Essex, Lincolshire... how about Somerset ?

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Vega

Essex, Lincolshire... how about Somerset ?

Post by Vega »

Having read the previous posts about Essex & Lincolnshire considering turning off streetlights..

Anyone here from Somerset ?

I want to submit the idea to my local Council (or would it be District Council instead?). But need more people onboard to put forward the idea to take it seriously.

Maybe this should go nationwide... afterall local council's must like the idea of reucing their electriciy bills at the moment!
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

Maccers

Post by Maccers »

I've just posted this in a different thread:
I'm debating whether its worth making a Freedom of Information request to my County Council's Hghways Dept (Somerset) asking just how much it costs to light the streets of Somerset. Might be quite interesting.
Its the District/Borough Council that handles light pollution complaints (Environmental Health Dept) but its Somerset Highways (WS Atkins?) who handle street lighting.

I'm putting some thought into how to word the FoI request...
Last edited by Maccers on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Mackay
Whimple, Devon

Vega

Post by Vega »

Well I'm all for it.

An off-peek turn off period would be amazing, but dont think thats gonna happen

Maccers

Post by Maccers »

According to Somerset Councty Councils Environmental directorate the matter of street lighting and energy use is under discussion/consideration by County Councillors.

Incidentally the provision of street lighting in Somerset costs approx £940K per year - a few hours off in the middle of the night would presumably save some money!
James Mackay
Whimple, Devon

Ian Ridley

Post by Ian Ridley »

Even if they left 1/3 of lights on or designated "higher risk" areas to leave lights on after midnight, it would make a difference.

I think each council's problem is to do this without creating a backlash from residents who go out and install hundreds of 500W halogen security floodlights

Vega

Post by Vega »

Compared to the sheer numbers of street lights (which are on permanently all night). It's not much of a comparison to a few dozen security lights which in turn are only on for 30 secs or so at a time.

Being realistic, I dont think any Council's are going to do night time switch off's on any large scale. What we have to campaign for is better deisgned street lights as shown on the CfDS website. At the moment there are far more of the old (bad design) street lights about. Until they break, they wont be replaced. :cry:

Ian Ridley

Post by Ian Ridley »

I take your point although if residents are not properly consulted and kept informed they are likely to have those 500W halogens on whilst the street lights are off!

But yes, better design is definitely a big part of the solution.