Annoying security light - Any suggestions??

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

astromani

Annoying security light - Any suggestions??

Post by astromani »

hi there,

I felt myself and others were drifting a bit from the original topic so I thought I start a new topic... continuing off from the threads on

http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3077

this new security light i think is faulty. It switches on and off on about 1.5sec intervals(i hope it blows itself up next). I am thinking off seeing if someone is in and asking them to switch it off or make it less sensitve, hoping they don't turn around and say f off or the other solution is going into the police station and ask them, pretty sure its annoying other owners on the my street facing their garden and we have a right. I had a similar problem with a garden right opposite mine. It was like a second sun. If the sun was not shining in the morning east it was this :shock: . Then next door had a bad habit to leave the bathroom light on all through the night and day and the light came through into my garden. Thankfully all this is sorted out itself and now this has risen.

Has anyone came across this problem before and how they sorted it out?

Mani

Vega

Post by Vega »

The best way to handle this kind of thing is to have a friendly chat with them. Maybe even offer to show them your scopes one night (that way they will appreciate the hobby a bit more).

The minute it becomes confrontational or you try and sort it through a third party... you'll find your neighbours rebelling against your precious dark skies!

A great temporary fix while they are out is to use a red laser pen and point it directly at the light sensor for the light thereby fooling the sensor in to thinking its daytime. The advantaage with being a fellow astronomer is we are used to trying to align things up at a distance and are well equipped to do it. (e.g. use a finderscope/binos to align the red laser to the sensor :lol: ).

Clear (dark) skies
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

GordonCopestake

Post by GordonCopestake »

I discovered that if you can mount your laser pen on a cheap phototripod and use that to align with the sensor then you can easily hit the sensor a number of times in the night without spending 10 minutes aiming

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Unfortunatly going round to your local Police station is unlikley to make much progress as light is now a statutory nuicance under the provision of the Cleaner Neighbourhoods and Environment Act. The enforcing authority for this is the environmental department of your local council (assuming you live in England or Wales). Light is now treated similar to noise. If speaking to the owner of the light does not work contact your local environmental health officer. They may or may not be aware of the changes in the law ! Almost certainly they will ask you to keep a record of when the nuicance occoured.
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play

Astrocomet

LIGHT POLLUTION...

Post by Astrocomet »

I personally find light pollution an annoyance :evil: around the Christmas season-with all the festive lighting and people going well over the top covering their house from head to foot with nothing but lights and all this happening on a very large scale on the estates and in the suburbs as well as town and city centers at that time (between mid December until January 5th the stars dissappear and the sky turns a kind of warm orangey red with lots of haze and plenty of wet and dew around, not nice when I used to see orion in a nice dark blue and coal black sky-its all gone mad :twisted: , as for snow on the ground a beutiful coal black cold crisp sky, a luvly village setting with a hoar frost and smoke rising from the chimney, chesnuts roasting on the open fire and frosty the snowman a sleigh ride and a snowball fight the kids think you've gone completly odd and bonkers :shock: all-these things have all become a serious myth in this day and age :?: .
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/

Astrocomet

LOST....

Post by Astrocomet »

:cry: And moreover Chestnuts never roast in the same way if you put them on your central heating radiator-even if you wrap them in tin foil.
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)

adrian lord

Post by adrian lord »

Security Light?

Try a Weihrauch HW97K air rifle, Sir!
TMB/APM 152 apochromatic Refractor is my weapon of choice!

john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

adrian lord wrote: Try a Weihrauch HW97K air rifle, Sir!
My weapon of choice is the Theoben 'Rapid' MFR with integral silencer.
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS

astromani

ceasefire :)

Post by astromani »

well, I can happily say we can have a ceasefire :D. The security light has gone off and I had a relaxing sleep.

.........til the next time of course.

Sounds a bit strange that as soon as you post a problem, it disappears.

Mani

Vega

Post by Vega »

Maybe they read this thread and the mention of a Theoben 'Rapid' MFR with integral silencer convinced them to turn it off :lol:
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

Astrocomet

SECURITY LIGHT...

Post by Astrocomet »

Whats wrong with your grandads catapault made from german wartime parachute elastic????? :lol: :D
Colin James Watling
--

adrian lord

Post by adrian lord »

my wife's nicker elastic would create more ft/lb projective force....
TMB/APM 152 apochromatic Refractor is my weapon of choice!