Light Pollution and Global Warming

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Deimos

Light Pollution and Global Warming

Post by Deimos »

One thing that often surprises me is that the "light pollution" issue has not significantly been linked to Global Warming. Maybe it has and I've just not noticed (which probably means that a lot of other people have not noticed as well.

I these days when we need to minimize our energy use to help reduce carbon emissions, lighting all these towns and cities all night must not only cost a fortune but also by burning loads of energy creating loads of CO2.

This is not just an excuse to justify switching the light off but I think it must be a real effect. We are all (rightly) being told to buy energy efficient lighting and them use it as little as possible - i.e. switch-off when not in use. Thus responsible people are busy switching off their 6 watt light bulbs whilst there is some mega powerful street light left on through the night outside their house with nobody using it !!

There is some madness here - maybe an aspect MP's should be getting involved in and not just local councils. With every elected official trying to be "greener" these days, maybe they have an opportunity to demonstrate how green they can really be.

Ian

davep

Post by davep »

Have you written to your MP about it?

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

davep wrote:Have you written to your MP about it?
I'm afraid that due to being somewhat "unpopular" with the Returning Officer responsible for giving me my vote I no longer get a vote in the UK. Despite even letters from my then MP he had refused to register me even though I have the legal right to vote. Unfortunately in the UK under such circumstances the only recourse one has is to try and overturn an election for fraud after it has happened (which in practice will never happen for just one person, one vote). Thus no MP to represent me.

Ian

davep

Post by davep »

Deimos wrote:Thus no MP to represent me.
I'll happily admit that I don't fully appreciate the minute detail of how government works at this sort of level but I'm left wondering how the situation you describe prohibits you from writing to your local MP and informing them of the information you posted here.

Are you really prohibited from passing information to, or getting the opinion of, a single specific individual in your local area?

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I don't live in the UK.

Ian

Astrocomet

LIGHT EMMISSIONS........

Post by Astrocomet »

MMMM: forget about politicians their only interested in catching the so called terrorists not worried about how many street lights are brightning the night skies and taking the stars away their pretty much in bed by then-some people think the stars have dissappeared because of this but there still there under the thick orangey glow of light pollution, try the short sharp effect of climbing up a ladder with a pot of black paint and brushing it over the lens or putting black bin bags over it with a long reach pole or better still setting up your bedroom window with your dusty old airgun and taking them out one by one :lol: .
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/