Churches to lose floodlighting

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Brian

Post by Brian »

Wellingborough District Council have decided to stop funding the cost of floodlighting its local churches, at a saving of around £10k per annum:

http://www.ketteringtoday.co.uk/ViewArt ... ID=1775793

Not sure about this one, I don't think it will make a big contribution to reducing light pollution overall, might even alienate people to some extent, although any astronomer living next to a church might disagree :)
Last edited by Brian on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

I fail to understand why churches need to be floodlit in the first place.
Mike

Paul S

Re: Churches to loose floodlighting

Post by Paul S »

Brian wrote:although any astronomer living next to a church
I have a floodlit one about 100 metres north of me :roll:

Luckily my house totally obscures it :D

Cheers

Paul
200mm f6 Revelation 8 Dob
Bins: 10 x 50 & 8 x 21

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Mike Feist wrote:I fail to understand why churches need to be floodlit in the first place.
Mike
Because they are, more often than not, nice architecture. I think we have to accept that some architecture will always be floodlit.

There are even some that I really like at night - in London the Lloyd's building and the National Theatre, for example. A modicum of architectural floodlighting is part of the built environment, like it or not.

I think there is a really good case to be argued for efficiency in street lighting. I think that's where the focus should be in the astronomers vs urban planners debate. It's an argument that is winnable because it is difficult to argue against.

Cheers

Paul

Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Quote "Because they are, more often than not, nice architecture. I think we have to accept that some architecture will always be floodlit."

And do people interested in architecture go out at night to look at churches and other buildings then?....seems daft to me when you can see them best in the daytime!

The other point going back to the original story referring to the council needing to save money and withdrawing the cash to pay for floodlighting churches . What the hell are they doing spending 'ratepayers' money on a illluminating religious buildings that a large proportion of the population do not use and related to a religion that many do not accept.

Rgrds Mike the godless

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Mike Feist wrote:And do people interested in architecture go out at night to look at churches and other buildings then?....seems daft to me when you can see them best in the daytime!
You show off your assets as much/best you can. Drive through a dark village at night and it's forgotten because it looks like any other village. Drive through a village at night and you notice what a lovely village it is because its lovely church is lovingly floodlit. The only flaw in my reasoning is that all village churches are floodlit now! :lol:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Mike Feist wrote:And do people interested in architecture go out at night to look at churches and other buildings then?....seems daft to me when you can see them best in the daytime!
Yes they do. And they are not always best in the daytime. Take my Lloyds and National Theatre examples. Both are superb at night.

Cheers

Paul

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian and Paul
I am very pleased to hear what you tell us about stopping flodlighting churches in Wellingborough.
I think I can also understand your feelings of concern about the matter and its possible backfiring ramifications. That is a rather sad but in my opinion another example of our sad modern society.
Personally I have limited interest in architecture. I do like some buildings but a lot of modern architure leaves me cold.
One thing I will say that making tall buildings really tall does it puts the cost of building land up a lot - a hell uv a lot!
I come from very a very strong basic engineering background (my Dad who worked in't mill,cotton mills all his working life apart from a spell doing nothing in depression years and doing munitions work in World war2) was a far better engineer than me.
In my opinion in recent years architects have dabbled in civil engineering with some arguably "pretty" expensive consequences. Surprisingly it seems only recently that engineers have realised what has been happening for quite a long time now. Architects have been increasingly seriously involved in what should have been engineering work.
Just as bad even worse in my opinion is much of so called modern art.
I personally am not a fan of the Angel of the North (although I have never seen it in the flesh and never want to). But some things are even worse eg the B of the Bang in Manchester. I have seen it twice and it does nothing for me, excepting to think what a waste of time and even worse money. The last I heard the "B" thing was vibrating in the wind and had to closed off from public access. And even that was after, yes after exceeding the original budget of about £700,000 by about as much again.
(in this particular case I believe the "b" was actually the concept of an artist ,or artists, with subsequent collaboration with dare I say it a structural engineer. AN ENGINEER - I can hardly believe it. I cannot help but wonder what my Dad would think about it. I can see him now jumping out of his grave HORRIFIED by such a monstrous waste.
Perhaps the most interesting thing about the B of the Bang is that it vibrated a lot - what surprises me is that the people responsible for creating it seem surpised it vibrates.
A chap down our road, who is a great chap doing house repairs small builing work (only small because he works alone) did his apprenticeship as a blacksmith in ironwork on the railways. His opinion of the B of the Bang is unprintable.
As for the need to floodlight things to make them look pretty at night. I think there should be a survey asking whether they better seen before going to the pub or after coming out.
Best of luck from Cliff
PS Despite anything I said above, I do not think I have much in the way of natural engineering aptitude. I found studies at Tech a struggle and in particular maths, which I had to repeat.

Praesepe

Post by Praesepe »

I remember reading some article some years back now that concerned excess lighting on buildings.
I think it was mostly about street lighting on city buildings.
It was something along the lines that the light was causing excess plant and I think bacteria growth on buildings which was inceasing destruction rates.
If I can track down the article I'll post it.
Has any-one done a study on what floodlighting does to buildings?
I've noticed pidgeons seem to like the lights?
Inceased growth of fungas etc perhaps.
I'm no expert but surely it would make an interesting study.
Also it does seem to effect the bodyclocks of wildlife living near flood lit areas.
I've heard on numerous occasions singing of birds late at night by the Catherdral and Castle in Rochester which are both floodlit.
Many a night I saw the Pleiades , rising thro' the mellow shade , glitter like a swarm of fireflies tangled in a silver braid

nealeh

Post by nealeh »

I find it reassuring when driving home after dark to see our village church. It tell me that my journey is nearly over, I'll soon see my family, and that the world is essentially the same as when I left.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Vega

Post by Vega »

A simple alternative is for churches to use downward pointing lighting instead of pointing upward in to the heavens. Again, maybe cost is the main factor here. :roll:
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |