A question

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

newguy

A question

Post by newguy »

I am a total beginner and I live in fife. I can see Edinburgh from where I live. I just want to know what the viewing conditions are like here. ANd if it is worth my while to get interested in astronomy if I can't see anything.

Thanks

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

For me there are loads of interesting aspects to astronomy/astrophysics and looking through a telescope is only part of it. It is a truly fascinating subject and a lot can be learnt appreciated thought about, etc. without watching the skies (fascinating though that is as well).

As the the question - sorry but I cannot help on the viewing conditions in your area - but if something interests you then "go-for-it".

Ian

stella

Re: A question

Post by stella »

newguy wrote:I am a total beginner and I live in fife. I can see Edinburgh from where I live. I just want to know what the viewing conditions are like here. ANd if it is worth my while to get interested in astronomy if I can't see anything.

Thanks
If you can see Edinburgh, then you might like to visit the Royal
Observatory there, next weekend (Sept30/Oct01). They are holding Open Days
from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and you should be able to get advice from
them as to what you can expect to see.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Newguy
I hope you take Stella's advice. I must admit I have never been to see the Edinburgh Observatory but I may yet do some time.
I did though visit Dundee Observatory once and thoroughly enjoyed it.
With regards to your potential astronomical interests, you could always become one of them "armchair astronomers" of course. Nothing wrong with that, well not a lot! But if you want to get down to the real nitty gritty and do the real stuff, these days there's no end to what amateur astronomers can do. Even if light pollution is extreme, there is always the possibility of observing the Sun. But there are so many possibilties I might be in danger of wittering on for ever as I often do.
Best wishes from Cliff

Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Whatever the light pollution etc from an urban site you can still observe:-
Sun, Moon and Planets!
Rgrds Mike