The Milky Way

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Praesepe

The Milky Way

Post by Praesepe »

As part of my planetarium training at work have been going in on some of the school shows.
At one the presenter showed the milky way and asked the children (ages between 8 and 10 ) what it was.
They did'nt know.
I found this very sad.
Children nowadays living in a town never get to see the such sights as the milky way, just a washed out orange sky.

:(
Many a night I saw the Pleiades , rising thro' the mellow shade , glitter like a swarm of fireflies tangled in a silver braid

Vega

Post by Vega »

Totally agree... very sad times for light pollution and very sad that a lot of us cant even see the very galaxy we are in !

However these are also good times to campaign for reducing light pollution. The reason being, the cost of electricity (and most fuels for that matter) is on the rise. This means that local council's are considering 'switching off' wherever possible in order to preserve engery costs. So far I only think it's Essex that have taken real action. It's a sad fact that money is the main motivator when it comes to Council's decisions.

I feel that every single member of this forum should pull together and write to local counsellor's about street lighting and use Essex as an example reference. Maybe a seperate section could be added to the forum especially for campainging and keeping updated Council by Council. Are you listening admins ?
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

davep

Post by davep »

Vega wrote:I feel that every single member of this forum should pull together and write to local counsellor's about street lighting and use Essex as an example reference. Maybe a seperate section could be added to the forum especially for campainging and keeping updated Council by Council. Are you listening admins ?
I think you'll find that you've posted to a forum dedicated to the issue of light pollution.

Vega

Post by Vega »

I dont mean simply a forum far ranting and raving about your neighbours security light or light pollution in general. I mean more of an organised forum for campaigning.
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

davep

Post by davep »

I'd gathered that. Is there a reason why this forum can't fit that requirement?