Climate Day 4th November

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Vega

Climate Day 4th November

Post by Vega »

Just had this e-mailed to me in work... Sounds good for astronomers (I doubt the sreet lights will be tuned off too so hardly a "Blackout")

BLACKOUT LONDON

Take part in the largest demonstration of People Power London has ever seen : turn off your lights at sundown for three hours between 4.30 and 7.30 pm on 4th November 2006, to show your support for action on Climate Change :-

http://www.workface-limited.co.uk/html/4november.html
http://www.icount.org.uk
http://www.globalclimatecampaign.org
http://www.campaigncc.org
http://www.comeoffit.org.uk
http://www.workface-limited.co.uk/html/blackout.html
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

A

Post by A »

Will there be a near full moon that evening :lol:

Vega

Post by Vega »

Full moon is on the 5th LOL

Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Call me an old cynic (you are and old cynic!) but I doubt whether
a) Anything will be done about climate change or
b) Climate change has anything to do with the actions of man or
c) Anything can be done about climate change anyway.
Changes in the environment naturally occur what ever man does positively or negatively. Extinctions of species has always occured and as man is just part of nature his actions are part of the natural change of things. Eventually the extinct of man is, I think, inevitable. It would be a sublime arrogance to think otherwise. In the big scheme of things does it really matter? The great thing about astronomy is that it points to how insignificat man is and how fragile his toehold in reality.
regards Mike

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Mike Feist wrote:Call me an old cynic (you are and old cynic!) but I doubt whether
a) Anything will be done about climate change or
c) Anything can be done about climate change anyway.
Mike, I agree with you.

- Whatever we might do will only delay the inevitable.
- at the end of the day we are pretty insignificant.

But I do think we are at least partly responsible for the current changes. That's not to say similar events wouldn't have happened anyway as the natural cycle of climate change.

The only way we can hold off the inevitable is by making it economically advantageous to do so.

Cheers

Paul
200mm f6 Revelation 8 Dob
Bins: 10 x 50 & 8 x 21

Vega

Post by Vega »

it's being accepted now that human activities are affecting the climate quicker than ever before in Earth's recorded history. Taking all other known natural cycles in to account (El ninio, Solar Cycle etc), human activity is increasing global warming effects dramatically. far too late.. but the professional world has actally started to believe these claims. So u guys are a bit behind here.

The only reason politicians are actually starting to talk about it is they have clicked that this stuff is gonna cost money and gain votes (cus ppl are starting to give a stuff and finally believe scientists claims).

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Vega wrote:So u guys are a bit behind here.
Hardly, as I said:

"The only way we can hold off the inevitable is by making it economically advantageous to do so."

However, it's still going to happen whatever we do. We might buy ourselves a couple of hundred years if we go back to pre-industrial age levels of energy consumption, pronto.

Cheers

Paul

Vega

Post by Vega »

I would love to know how the shutting down of the Gulf Stream can be economically advantageous!

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Given that man is going to become extinct (at some point in the future), it some seems appropriate that the cause may be man made (rather than some asteroid or something beyond our control).

Ian

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Re: Climate Day 4th November

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Vega wrote:Take part in the largest demonstration of People Power London has ever seen : turn off your lights at sundown for three hours between 4.30 and 7.30 pm on 4th November 2006, to show your support for action on Climate Change
I have it on good authority that Cliff will then lead the demonstrators on a Bastille-style storming of Jodrell Bank.

Well OK, I made that last bit up. I've seen too many Frankenstein movies. 8)

Paul

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Vega wrote:Take part in the largest demonstration of People Power London has ever seen : turn off your lights at sundown for three hours between 4.30 and 7.30 pm on 4th November 2006, to show your support for action on Climate Change
I have it on good authority that Cliff will then lead the demonstrators on a Bastille-style storming of Jodrell Bank.
With unlit torches?
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Vega wrote:I would love to know how the shutting down of the Gulf Stream can be economically advantageous!
Sorry, I don't understand your logic.

What I'm saying is that the only way we can get humanity to stop using fossil fuels is by making it economically advantageous to do so.

I said nothing about changes in the earth's ecosystem being advantageous.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

joe wrote:With unlit torches?
LOL! Careful, you nearly made me choke on my roast beef, Yorkshire pud and apple crumble.

Feeling homesick yet? :twisted:

Paul

Vega

Post by Vega »

Paul S wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand your logic.

What I'm saying is that the only way we can get humanity to stop using fossil fuels is by making it economically advantageous to do so.

I said nothing about changes in the earth's ecosystem being advantageous.

Cheers

Paul
Apologies, mis-understood.... With all this cloud and rain about I havent been out with the scope for a while, it's obviously have a prefound effect on my interpretation skills ! Having read your comment again, I totally agree :lol: LOL

As I see it, there are two ways to go. One is to go back to non-global pre-industrial way of living. The other is for a break through in fusion power implementation on a large scale. As for solar, wind, wave power... I'm all for it but these methods simply wont support ALL of our current power needs. Nuclear ? I'm still on the fence there (athough better than pumping all those carbo's in the atmosphere IMO).

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Vega wrote:As for solar, wind, wave power... I'm all for it but these methods simply wont support ALL of our current power needs. Nuclear ? I'm still on the fence there (athough better than pumping all those carbo's in the atmosphere IMO).
You are absolutely right, but IMO you can't sit on the fence with nuclear if you are truly concerned with global warming. It is the only viable solution. The rest are really p***ing in the wind. Astronomers, of all people should understand what an obvious solution nuclear is - after all, we understand the way our local star works.

Nuclear power is the only way to go. Here in France, they've got it right. My latest electricity bill tells me: 85.8%from nuclear, 4.2% hydraulic, 4.1% coal, 3.2%gas, 1.8% fuel, 0.5% other renewables. Pretty impressive.

It's not a mickey mouse country and the industry doesn't skimp for the sake of profit, so I am very comfortable with it.

In fact, the nearest power station to me is only about 20km away, and a bit further down the Rhone they're building the world's first prototype commercial fusion reactor.

Cheers

Paul