Experiment in Essex

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

john.wheeldon

Experiment in Essex

Post by john.wheeldon »

From today's 'Essex Chronicle' :

"Communities risk becoming crime zones and insurance premiums could rocket when the street lights go out" say Essex Police.

There is a lot of negative publicity being generated about the trials being carried out in Essex. It will be interesting to see what develops.

John W
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS

Astrocomet

EXPERIMENT IN ESSEX...

Post by Astrocomet »

I think if the Council want to switch off the street lights they should be allowed to do so, it will save Electric (Uranium) light pollution and the Environment in general, if people are that concerned about getting broken into they should put up their own P.I.R security lights, sensors, Alarms and security cameras to ward off unwanted intruders, I live in a reasonably dark area so I put up P.I.R security lights outside in my back and front garden and the only time the really trigger off is when I go out to have a look at the sky etc so it would'nt matter if they switched some of the streetlights off in my area :idea: .
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Re: Experiment in Essex

Post by Paul Sutherland »

john.wheeldon wrote:From today's 'Essex Chronicle' :

"Communities risk becoming crime zones and insurance premiums could rocket when the street lights go out" say Essex Police.

There is a lot of negative publicity being generated about the trials being carried out in Essex. It will be interesting to see what develops.

John W
I hope the Dark Skies experts can come up with some information to counter such scare stories from the police. They seem to be feeding people's fears and ignorance. It might be worth forwarding a copy of such articles to Bob Mizon at the CfDS.

Paul

astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Mmm security lights all they do is save the would be thief's taking a torch and as to the police's scare tactics pure ignorance!

Astrocomet

EXPERIMENT IN ESSEX...

Post by Astrocomet »

MMM: don't really know, I think its better to have P.I.R security lights and any other kind of security features than not to have them because you can get them with a transmitter now that sets off an alarm in your living room or elsewhere in the house, once they trigger you can check up (preferably from the safety of your bedroom window) to see whats going on outside-AHH: it was a gust of wind triggered it off again never mind :roll: .
Colin James Watling
--
Astronomer and head of the Comet section for LYRA (Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Regional Astronomers) also head of K.A.G (Kessingland Astronomy Group) and Navigator (Astrogator) of the Stars (Fieldwork)
https://sites.google.com/site/lyrasociety/
http://www.lyrandgyastronomers.blogspot.com/

john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

Few people seem to know how to set the sensitivity of their PIR lights.
When I cycle home from the pub (sorry to mention that again) you would be able to track my progress by the line of lights that I set off as I proceed along the road.
John W
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS

Vega

Post by Vega »

I really don't think street light 'switch off's' will pan out. Rightly or wrongly, too many people will strongly oppose the idea from County to County. The only realistic approach I can see is to promote the use of the better designed street lights. The CfDS website illustrates and compares well designed and poorly designed street lights with regard to light pollution.

There is no reason for people to oppose the use of better light designs (apart from the initital cost of replacing lights of course).
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Since a lot of street lighting is being replaced under PFI's the contractor will install the cheapest light fittings they can to lower their costs. My local council (Sutton, London) have replaced the poor Sodium Lights with Very Poor White Metal Halide lamps under a PFI. They have also increased the power of the lights from 35W to 60W with the same spacing. The effects of this can be seen on the light pollution page on my web site http://www.johnmurrell.org.uk/sutton_light_pollution.html

As the lights are Metal Halide it is not possible to use a light pollution filter. As a result I don't beleive new lights may well make the situation worse !
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play

Vega

Post by Vega »

Which is exactly why we need to promote the use of better designed lights (not simply replaceing old one's)
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

There is an article in the 'Saffron Walden Reporter at http://www.saffronwalden-reporter.co.uk ... 3A35%3A007

about turning off the lights. Apparently they are fitting a device costing £25 to each light that determines when 'Solar Midnight' is and then turns the lights off for 5 hours ie from Midnight to 5am.

John Murrell
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play

534n13w

Re: Experiment in Essex

Post by 534n13w »

john.wheeldon wrote:From today's 'Essex Chronicle' :

John W
This smacks of "England becoming a land of alcoholic louts" type thinking when they brought in 24-hour drinking rules... Has it had that much of an impact (rhetorical question there - don't want to go off-topic)

The way I see it is they should trial it multiple times and see what happens i.e. for 1 month, then if all is OK 3 month, then 1 year. If crime shoots up by 100% then pull the plug (or rather keep the plug in - sorry).

The great thing I like about light polution is that if you turn the light off then the polution goes (OK need to add a little time to become light adjusted)