Proposal to make Light Pollution a statutory nuisance

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Brian

Post by Brian »

Dear dave,

Er... I think you are confusing me with Cliff? Not at all an easy thing to do, I hope :wink:

I'm not at all grumpy :lol:

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear you lot?
I am not at all happy being referred to in this unproperly identified derogatory way!
It makes me into an even more Grumpy Old Codger than ever, Grumpy Old Cliff. PS I would mention that I lay claims to being the most famous Grumpy old codger ever, long before these copy-cat "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpy Old Women" TV series ever began. I am thinking of suing TV on the basis of my copy rights.
Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

ooops :oops:

Sorry about that

:oops: :oops:
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Hi Cliff
According to my newspaper yesterday men mellow as they get older but it is the women who get grumpier...
Regards Mike
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
Are you suggesting I am one of those Transalvanianvestites.
It could account fir me being a night-hawk.
Best wishes from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
PS I went to thje Astronomer Centre Easter Star Party - Mike you were mentioned in Mike Frost's talk about Camera Obscura.
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Hi Cliff
Yes, Mike Frost helped me during my camera obscura research project - having similar names, Mike Frost & Mike Feist, did occasionally cause the odd confusion! He has come to the Foredown Tower on a couple of occasions.
I have given up being grumpy and only get depressed now! However, I have just noticed that the setting Sun has just appeared - that cheered me up a bit - and there is a bit of blue sky in the west...
I am going to the Lewes Astronomers meeting on wednesday to take about OAPs - no - AOPs (Atmospheric Optical Phenomena - Haloes and the like) That is Lewes in East Sussex NOT Lewis in the Hebrides!
If you ever read David Whitehouse's book on the Moon (The Moon - A Biography)and enjoyed it, do try his new offering about the Sun (The Sun - A Biography)- I bought it today.
Regards Mike Feist
DeepSkyObserver

Post by DeepSkyObserver »

Where I am currently living (Southampton, but am moving back home to the Isle of Wight in a couple of weeks - varied reasons, not least darker skies) the city council installed cut off lights. That is extremely commendable and if more councils followed suit - were made to follow suit, even - then it would be a major step forward in the battle against this menace. I think Portsmouth City Council have done similar in the past...?