Dark spots in cornwall?

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Maddie

Dark spots in cornwall?

Post by Maddie »

Does anyone know of any nice 'Dark spots' in Cornwall, prefferably somewhere near Truro?

My village (St.Agnes) is constantly alight making it hard work to view the nights sky. I live on a corner and my house is surrounded by lights. To the front of my house there are two street lights making the front garden a 'don't bother' zone for the 'scope. The backgarden has one streetlamp so close it may aswell be in the garden. Then of course the other lights up and down the road to the front, back and side of the house.

So Im really after some local areas with good viewing. Failing that, someone to come over and take out the 10 closest streetlamps :p

john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

Hi Maddie
Looking at my dark skies map, if you head north east from Truro into the middle of the 'Truro, St Austell, Newquay' triangle, you should find it fairly dark.
John W
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS

Maddie

Post by Maddie »

Thanks!

Ill get the map out and have a looksee :)

carlos dfc

Post by carlos dfc »

Yep - I'll second that - particularly around the area where the A30 joins with the A39 (avoid the main roads though)
If you can go a little further - Bodmin Moor looks to be about as dark as it getas in England.

You got some good dark areas down there (Bodmin, Dartmoor, Exmoor) - Only other place in England gets that dark is up near the Scottish border, around Kielder
C8 'classic' SCT - 150mm newt - 90mm Mak (grab'n'go) - 10" ATM Dob (W.I.P.)
54.6 N - 1.6 W
www.astrochat.co.uk/forum

Surfinginsanity

Post by Surfinginsanity »

I'd have to agree with the other about the moors. There may well be some good spots down near penwith, cape cornwall etc, but thats quite a way from truro. The lizard has some good spots away from the villages. I'd imagine around Roskilly's is good after dark.

electrogravitic

Dark skies in cornwall!

Post by electrogravitic »

Hi folks, in 1999 the month of the eclipse. Myself, brother and daughter went down to cornwall to watch this spectacular event. We stopped at a farm for the first day ( Monday ) and it was a place called Trevellian ( I think I've spelt that wrong ) but we must have been about 3+ miles away from the nearset street light and the scene at night was absolutley wonderful, we could see the milky way in it's full glory. Then we headed down to Hayle where our Aunty and Uncle were stopping. They were in a chalet in Phillack and the sky their was'nt too bad. Even though the eclispe was cloudy, it was still a wonderful experience. So Cornwall does have excellent skies for astronomy. :D

Vega

Post by Vega »

North Devon is the place! I have stayed at this place and would reommend it to everyone...(just about the darkest skies in England thanks to the Ocean to the North and no major/towns cities for miles to the South). Their half meter dobbo is quite nice too :D

http://www.astroadventures.co.uk

Matt
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |

Sketchie Kernow

Re: Dark spots in cornwall?

Post by Sketchie Kernow »

Maddie wrote:Does anyone know of any nice 'Dark spots' in Cornwall, prefferably somewhere near Truro?

My village (St.Agnes) is constantly alight making it hard work to view the nights sky. I live on a corner and my house is surrounded by lights. To the front of my house there are two street lights making the front garden a 'don't bother' zone for the 'scope. The backgarden has one streetlamp so close it may aswell be in the garden. Then of course the other lights up and down the road to the front, back and side of the house.

So Im really after some local areas with good viewing. Failing that, someone to come over and take out the 10 closest streetlamps :p
Hi, I go up onto bodmin moor its nearly always dark if you can find a nice secluded area. My personal favorite is a place called Minions near Caradon Hill. A spot called the Hurlers, it's an ancient stone circle and should be easy to find on any os map. And there's a pub only a few yards away for after/before beverages :D
In the time it takes to read this sentence, the universe will increase in volume by 100 trillion cubic light-years.... better get a BIGGER 'scope then!!!