Floodlit buildings - a new policy?

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Orchard47

Floodlit buildings - a new policy?

Post by Orchard47 »

Did anyone see that programme on BBC1 last night about tall buildings? They showed skyscapers in Hong Kong and Shanghai and what seems to be a new and alarming policy of floodlighting them at night, coupled with a system in which entire buildings change colour like roman candles. Some had laser beams shining up into the sky from the top. It may look pretty from the surrounding hills, but I dread to think what this boads for astronomers if it catches on worldwide. Whatever happened to the "switch it off" policy of the 70's?
Regards, Chris.

14 inch Dob
6 inch Refractor
15 X 80 Bins
Mell

Post by Mell »

Hi Chris,

I saw that programme last night. I recall, whilst watching, I too had the thought of what must the poor astronomers of the region see! I think one chap mentioned something about having to have the 'tall' buildings floodlight in some shape or form, to encourage people to rent apartment space and make it profitable for him! How much it must cost to light a building through the night, with lights that change colour, is beyond me!

It is bad enough here in my own back garden with security lights that are on and off more than a lighthouse (and probally brighter!!).

I must admit I did enjoy the programme though. (And the football earlier that evening!!)
Mell Jeffery, FRAS.
Occultation Section Director
Email - occultation@popastro.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPA-Occu ... 6272672796
Twitter - https://twitter.com/OccultationsSPA
Orchard47

Post by Orchard47 »

What football?
Regards, Chris.

14 inch Dob
6 inch Refractor
15 X 80 Bins