B & Q sells Light pollution friendly security lights...

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Liz

B & Q sells Light pollution friendly security lights...

Post by Liz »

Just as it says on the title, some of their security lights have it written on the box that they are designed not to throw light up into the sky, how nice to see that a major superstore is stocking items like these.

I had to buy a security light after 2 nights with an intruder in our garden, unfortunately couldn't fit one of these, but the one I purchased only illuminates our garden and won't be switched on all the time. Looking forward to my intruder coming back now that I have installed CCTV out there! :twisted:
ImageWe are all in the gutter - but all of us on here are looking at stars! - Oscar Wilde slightly misquoted for the purposes of this forum!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Liz
Best of luck with your new security tackle. Sorry to be negative as usual but I wouldn't be be too enthusiastic about getting intruders back. A friend who as it happens had been unem[ployed for quite a long time recently got a job. Admittedly he does live in a dodgey area. To combat his problems he has twenty four hour video surveilance. Although he normally only checks the video if something suspicious has happened, which is frighteningly often where he lives. his video camera has filmed yobs pinching his neighbours car twice in the space of a year. However the police failed to catch the thives. Then the first week he started work he got home and fortunately realised there was some wrong before he reversed his car onto his drive. Some Landrover body parts were on the drive and if he had driven in he would have damaged his car. He is a landrover fan and had some spare bits in his garden. when he checked most of the spares(about £500 worth) had been pinched. His video camera showed the thives ev ntering the garden and taking the bits. The poliv via a two tone van. the police were able to do nothing about the theft. The following week the thieves came back and took some more Landrovr parts. Different thieves (but probably mates of the first). I have seen the videos and they are good enough to recognise the thieves is you saw them. This second time the thieves van even had a building co. name on the side and "telephone number" readable on the video. To be fair on the police they did check the telephone number and the building co. is bogus. However, one might think they could try to find the van? Perhaps expecting too much. A week later more thieves visited my friends house whilst he was at work.This time is video recorded thieves trying to kick his front door in, but fortunately it was well locked up.
Fortunately since then, having already pinched everything accessible in his garden and found the house fairly burlar proof the the thieves have left my friend's house alone. The video cameras did a good job of filming the thieves but they have never been caught.
these three incidents happened in broad daylight, the two car neighbours thefts (recorded on my friends video) were at night. Five incidents ,no one caught despite pretty good video evidence.
Incidentally my friend is pretty good at videoing low light level astronomical events.
Best of luck from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hi Cliff, sorry to hear that your friend has such awful problems and I am glad to hear that the local yoblets are leaving him alone now.

I guess that I have one advantage is that my husband and I both work for the police, he is a DC with 20 years in and I am in Community Support with 8 years in. Most of the local scrotes I recognise in anycase. The mystery with ours is that our house is terraced, the garden completely surrounded and we have a school at the rear of our garden, and the part which backs onto ours is a "summer classroom" which is locked when not in use. I believe that I disturbed someone one night as a Stainless Steel plant pot was knocked over and bent (obviously in a hurry) and two nights later a statue was moved. We have put the CCTV in just for our peace of mind when at work, and after a spate of thefts from cars in the street I am now putting one at the front of the house as well. Its a shame when you have to do these things, but I guess if you didn't hubby and I would be out of a job. :wink:
ImageWe are all in the gutter - but all of us on here are looking at stars! - Oscar Wilde slightly misquoted for the purposes of this forum!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Liz
I had best watch my Ps and Qs. I certainly hope your security measures work. It really is a shame there is need to go to so much trouble.
A few years back one afternoon, we had a policeman in our house (checking about a missing person who lived across the road). My son happened to arrive home and looked down our "ginnel" (ours is also a trreaced house) to see a yob climbing over our back gate. Policeman, sobn and me gave chase but failed to catch the yob. It materialised the yob had been thieving videos from outr nearby Tescos. Apparently he dropped his "goodies" when being chased by Tescos security man.
Since then there have been a couple of muggings of old folks in recent years in our street. one mugger dig get caught.
Believe it or not Ours is not really a bad area.
Best wishes from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
Best
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Liz
Good news!
My friend who got video images of thieves pinching from his garden just told me that with the aid of his video the police have caught some of the culprits. I am quite surprised ,but very pleased.
Best of luck from the Grumpy Old codger Cliff
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thats good news Cliff, everyone should have one or two on their houses!!! We have just put a camera up at the front of the house as well, just have to remember to press record on each of them before I go out.

To be honest, when you work for the police you deal with 10% of people 90% of the time. At our station we have a wall full of CCTV images of people and most of them get identified by someone who has had dealings with them. Hope the little toerags get what they deserve.
BigGeoff

Post by BigGeoff »

Hi Guys

sorry to butt in on this, but I have to say that unfortunately, these lowlife scum never get what they deserve, only what the law allows. I could think of a novel place for my trusty 4" refractor that might make them think again before ruining other peoples lives. On second thoughts, it might foul my optics. Mind you, there's always my tripod and equatorial :twisted:
Geoff

There's a saying amongst prospectors:'Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find'