Light Pollution

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Asteeleleith

Light Pollution

Post by Asteeleleith »

Hi All
Has anyone seen the article in todays independent about increase in greenhouse gases caused by leaving your video on standby.

I have sent a letter to the editor outlining how much of the greenhouse emissions are caused by light pollution.

See if its published,

Alastair
Engineer, businessman, and Astronomer
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Mice one Alastair! 8)
Asteeleleith

Light pollution

Post by Asteeleleith »

Thanks bunny
Although i feel i might have done so in Vain

But if the paper is going to winge about a few millwatts used by Videos, TVs etc whilst they are on Standby mode mode, they may as well take light pollution into account as well. After all far more power is wasted and far more greenhouse emissions are generated as a result of "unwanted light"

I think if i read the figures correctly, about 70% of energy generated to produce light is wasted. It would be hypocritical to not take thatinto consideration as well.

Alastair
Asteeleleith

Replying to independent

Post by Asteeleleith »

In fact it might be beneficial for others to follow suite and write a letter to the independent.

The editors email address is letters@Independent.co.uk

The do not take attachments so be careful,

and here is the link so you can see it first http://www.independent.co.uk/
davep

Re: Light pollution

Post by davep »

Asteeleleith wrote:But if the paper is going to winge about a few millwatts used by Videos, TVs etc whilst they are on Standby mode mode, they may as well take light pollution into account as well. After all far more power is wasted and far more greenhouse emissions are generated as a result of "unwanted light"
Out of interest, are there any comparitive figures showing the environmental cost of light pollution when compared to things like TVs and DVD players left on standby, or light-bulbs left buring indoors when nobody is using the room and other similar things?
Asteeleleith

Figures

Post by Asteeleleith »

There are figures on the CFDs website, but whether they are directly linked to this is another matter

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/cfds/indexjs.html?4O