Beauty and Peace Light Show!

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Brian

Beauty and Peace Light Show!

Post by Brian »

Picked this up on another group:

http://www.imaginepeace.com/IPT01.html

I don't suppose any local astronomers were asked if they want it.....
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I'm just amazed that someone who is supposed to be a caring person is remembered in such an awful, energy wasting way that blots out the peaceful starry skies above. How many more people don't get it, that our resources are dwindling! :evil:
Hawk (yes, that's my real 1st name)
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x

Brian

Post by Brian »

Here is an image of it from 40km away:

http://korkur.astro.is/viewtopic.php?t=229
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
Ro-Ro roof shed

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Hawk wrote:I'm just amazed that someone who is supposed to be a caring person is remembered in such an awful, energy wasting way that blots out the peaceful starry skies above. How many more people don't get it, that our resources are dwindling! :evil:
To be fair, it's run on geothermal energy. There's plenty of that in Iceland. Dwindling it is not and really never will to all intents and purposes. If you went there and saw how Icelanders use their heating and glazed their homes, you'd be in for a shock. Consider this: bauxite (aluminium ore) is shipped to Iceland from Australia. Converting bauxite to aluminium is one of the most energy intensive industrial processes known.

That said, I hate the light pollution. To interfere in such beautiful natural phenomena as the aurorae is shocking. And for so many months of the year!
200mm f6 Revelation 8 Dob
Bins: 10 x 50 & 8 x 21

Brian

Post by Brian »

Something similar seems planned for the Holmenkollen Ski Jump in Oslo , Norway:

http://nrk.no/contentfile/file/1.3377544!img3377361.jpg

http://nrk.no/contentfile/file/1.3375336!img3375248.jpg

Cheap "throw-away" electricity certainly seems to have some bearing on this situation !
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed

Colin Henshaw

Beauty and Peace Light Show

Post by Colin Henshaw »

This is a typical skybeam, similar to several that have appeared in the UK over the past few years. Several have been eliminated through opposition by astronomers and environmentalists. So it can be done, though I doubt if Iceland has a strong enough astronomical community that can oppose it.

These schemes have to be opposed where they occur, and we need to be vigilant, continually watching out for more projects of this nature.

Yoko Ono should have known better that inflict such a scheme on a country without considering its environmental impact. This shows a total lack of respect for the environment.

markt

Post by markt »

I find this disappointing. :(

I'm over in Iceland in 4 weeks time, just looked it's a couple of clicks from my hotel, and about a click from where I go to do my aurora photographs. Reading their web site it will be working when i'm there too :(

I hope it's broken when i'm there...

I'll grab some pics when i'm there - come rain or shine, and post them so we can all get a look at this monstrosity...
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Markt,

One could express one's concern to the following:

The Icelandic Embassy, London.

icemb.london@utn.stjr.is

The Reykjavik Museum of Art (that is actually responsible):

listasafn@reykjavik.is

The Icelandic Ministry for the Environment:

postur@environment.is

Best wishes,

Colin.

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

icemb.london@utn.stjr.is

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to draw your attention to the Imagine Peace Tower.

http://www.imaginepeace.com/IPT01.html

http://korkur.astro.is/viewtopic.php?t=229

This is one of the worst examples of celestial vandalism that I have seen in several years, and it is a shame that it has been inflicted on Iceland. It shows a blatant disregard for the environment and environmental issues.

This folly has been detected from a distance of forty kilometres.

It is an example of light pollution, a severe environmental problem that has been deteriorating in developed countries over the past forty years.

Light pollution, in addition to damaging the night sky and interfering with the visibility of aurorae, is damaging to wildlife, including insects and those organisms that feed on them, bats, and birds. The migrating patterns of birds can be severely disrupted.

It will also be damaging to Iceland’s tourist industry that includes foreign visitors who wish to observe Aurorae and related astronomical phenomena.

In the current climate of international concern about energy wastage, climate change, and global warming, I find it inconceivable that this scheme could even have been considered, let alone given planning permission.

I would be grateful for your input, and any advice regarding action that can be taken to close this thing down once and for all.

I remain deeply concerned.

Yours sincerely,

Colin Henshaw.
www.lightpollution.org.uk

markt

Post by markt »

Getting myself prepared for my forthcoming visit to Iceland I found this webcam where, on a night time, the peace tower is readily visible...

http://www.vedur.is/vedur/athuganir/vef ... vik/#teg=n
Canon 350D, DMK31

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Markt,

Try and find out if this is a temporary or permanent fixture.

You could also try and sound out opinion amongst the local astronomical community. There aren't many of them, which is why this thing managed to establish itself.

It would not have been tolerated in the UK, and the organisers probably knew that, so inflicted it on Iceland where they thought there would be little opposition.

Enjoy your trip.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Markt, what is a 'click'?
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80

markt

Post by markt »

Zeke wrote:Markt, what is a 'click'?
Sorry, a 'click' is a kilometre...
Canon 350D, DMK31

markt

Post by markt »

I'm in Iceland now, around about midnight last night noticed there was some low level auroral activity so went ouside with the camera. Got a series of shots which i'll put together as movies file on my return to the UK, in the mean time this puts the 'Peace Tower' into perspective in terms of how bright it actually is >>>

One thing I will say though is they do turn it off after midnight, which sadly, is something that probably wouldn't happen if a monstrosity like this was made in the UK :roll:

*EDIT*
I'm sat here waiting for the auroras to develop so thought i'd process last nights images. The following link is to an animation of last nights aurora. IOt represents about 20 minutes worth of observation - 20 second exposures with a couple of seconds in between each one. 10mm f4, iso 800.

http://i34.tinypic.com/30js0g1.gif

Its a 2Mb file so give it a moment to load. Whats really surprising is how bright the peace tower is when it illuminates clouds - it really is as bright, if not brighter than a full moon.
Canon 350D, DMK31

markt

Post by markt »

Incidentally, I could easily see the peace towers beam of light from some 25km out of Reykjavik whilst travelling in a car along the main N1 route with the bright headlights of oncoming vehicles. I'm certain from a dark sky locality the beam could be seen from considerably further away.
Canon 350D, DMK31