Buckinghamshire-Lighting

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Cliff

Buckinghamshire-Lighting

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
I just read an article by John Holloway in a Local Government magazine "cellebrating" one council's really bright idea.
Apparently Buckinghamshire Council are intending to reduce the level of street-lighting cum-next april.
John Holloway is obviously supports astronomy and writes about the problems caused by light pollution. He does though suggest that the pro-bright light fraternity is currently keeping a low profile (knowing there are now increasing concerns about energy costs and pollution generally) and at the slightest signs that cutting down lighting might see any perception of increases in crime or accidents, they will be onto it like a flash.
Best of luck from Cliff
PS Keep figers cross that the Buckinghamshire lighting reduction proposals work out well for astronomy.

gary1968

Post by gary1968 »

That is good news Cliff, :D I only wish West Lothian council would take a leaf out of their book and tone down the lighting coming from the Almodvale shopping centre............... :(

Clear skies
Gary
56N / 3.5W
HEQ5 Pro. Skywatcher ED80, William Optics Field Flattener III, Canon 1000d - Imaging Rig. Guided with Orion 8x50 & QHY5.
Control Via Ascom, EQMod, Cartes du Ciel and PHD.
Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK, its not the end..............

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Gary
In some ways I do not like saying this but it seems to me that (if it happens as seems possible) a down turn in the UK economy, and current ecological\green concerns and energy costs, may help to reduce light pollution.
I also have to say that I am not yet totally convinced that many of our politicians are as genuinely concerned about greening the UK excepting as a way of raising taxes. I know that a few politicians are genuinely bothered about green issues and even light pollution but I suspect not very many of them are.
Best wishes from Cliff

gary1968

Post by gary1968 »

Cliff,

I would agree that it would indeed seem that our politicians are not as green as they claim. I also agree that they see green issues as a way to riase extra cash, call me cynical but thats what I think.
:idea: If only central government were to start charging businesses and local councils a tax per lamp that would reduce the amount of street lights in use, not sure what effect that would have on street crime though :?

Clear / Dark skies,

Gary
56N / 3.5W
HEQ5 Pro. Skywatcher ED80, William Optics Field Flattener III, Canon 1000d - Imaging Rig. Guided with Orion 8x50 & QHY5.
Control Via Ascom, EQMod, Cartes du Ciel and PHD.
Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK, its not the end..............

Colin Henshaw

Street lighting and crime

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Gary,

The crime figures would go down. Most crime occurs in daylight, ergo criminals need light.

Street lighting encourages people to behave more at night as they would during the day.

Consequently those areas with the highest crime rates are also those that are the most intensively lit.

It is well established that criminality drops almost to zero during power cuts. I saw this for myself in Bangladesh. Dhaka experiences as many as two power cuts per night, but there are no widespread reports of looting, murders or rapes, etc. In fact the streets there are very safe if you can avoid the rickshaws!

Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Surely we astronomers don't want darker streets but just darker skies?
It must be possible to design a street lamp which throws the same amount of light onto the street without wasting light in an skyward direction.
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80

Colin Henshaw

Dark skies, bright streets

Post by Colin Henshaw »

What I want is the right not to have street lighting outside my property. It doesn't matter if it is full cut-off or not; if it shines on my property I don't want it.

The removal of one or two lights from outside a property where it is not wanted will not make any difference in an area that is already over-lit.

Full cut off lighting is available that does shine the light downwards, but it is not perfect. They will reduce skyglow, but they can still intrude onto properties if too close. Don't for one moment think they are the universal panacea in the battle against light pollution.