Street lighting

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Cliff

Street lighting

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
A couple of years back I recall stating that I understood back in the late-ish 1990s there were about 10 million lighting columns in the UK (apparentltly increasing at about10 percent per year). I have never been able to absolutely verify those statistics but no one as ever challenged it, so I think it at least a reasonable ball park estimate.
Well I still keep an interest in such depressing things even though I have been retired quite a while from highway engineering work.
Whatever, just thought the following mentioned in a recent New Civil Engineer magazine might be of interest.
".......... the design life of a typical street lamp column was between 25 and 30 years, but a survey in 2006 found that 1.5 million of 6.1million lighting columns in England were more than 40 years old..................."
Apparently there is currently a dhortage of new lighting columns in the UK.
This is apparently partly cause by the way HM government ave decide to award lighting column contracts causing PFI contractors to snap up all the new columns they can.
Best wishes from Cliff
PS I nearly forgot to mention, that when I was working (not that I can claim to have worked excessively hard) I understood then that all the UK steel lighting columns at that time were actually made in France.