Light pollution in South-east Essex

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Paladin

Light pollution in South-east Essex

Post by Paladin »

Hello

I have often visited the SPA and have now decided to register, in order to post on the Light Pollution forum.

Anyone who lives in the Southend-on-Sea area will be aware of the light pollution from the seafront. The main problems are the “searchlightsâ€

Sketchie Kernow

Re: Light pollution in South-east Essex

Post by Sketchie Kernow »

[quote="Paladin"]Hello

I have often visited the SPA and have now decided to register, in order to post on the Light Pollution forum.

Anyone who lives in the Southend-on-Sea area will be aware of the light pollution from the seafront. The main problems are the “searchlightsâ€
In the time it takes to read this sentence, the universe will increase in volume by 100 trillion cubic light-years.... better get a BIGGER 'scope then!!!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hi

Southend Borough Council has now decided that the Sky Beams that cause so much light pollution over south-east Essex are to remain. However, the times they operate will be severally restricted.

The searchlights from the theme park will operate only on Friday & Saturday evenings within opening hours, and the lazerlights from the nightclub will be on 2 hours on Thursday evenings, and 1 hour on Fridays & Saturdays. As they used to be on from the early evenings to late at night sometimes, this is quite a good result. Needless to say, I shall be monitoring the situation to make sure they do not operate outside these hours!

Thanks to everyone who sent their comments to the council.

The Southend Echo has the details of the decision.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/southen ... _night.php

Most of the comments from the public just show what selfish and ignorant attitudes we with minority interests are up against.

Paul

nas76

Post by nas76 »

I see what you mean, I've added my comment and used my SPA pseudonym.

I can understand some people being ignorant to the needs of astonomers, amateur or otherwise, but it pees me of for some to automatically give us the 'anorak' tag, I'm sure most people on this forum have led more exciting lives than driving around in a souped up Astra with a huge spoiler listening to rap at 140dB (apologies to Paladin and other Essex based readers for my stereotype). Or as you may see in my reply, "oh the sky looks dull", some simple people are easily swayed by a bit of laser.

I cannot understand why Adventure Island or this nightclub need 'special' lighting. If people don't know the way a couple of roadsigns should be enough, and if they're any good people will go to those places on the strength of word of mouth or repeat visits.

Neil
National Geographic NG76AZ
700mm focal length + 20mm, 12.5mm & 4mm eyepieces
51°40' N 0°24' W