Daily Mail today. Please vote!

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Daily Mail today. Please vote!

Post by Paul Sutherland »

There is a major article in the Daily Mail today, attacking the decision by councils across the land to switch off streetlights after midnight, encouraging crime etc etc. It makes depressing reading, especially when you also view the predictable comments from readers.
The article is accompanied by two photos of an urban street, one with the lights on and one with them off. The one with them off is notable for showing Orion and other stars, yet it is still perfectly possible to make out the pavement etc.
The online article invites comments if anyone wishes to wade in, and there is a poll where you can vote on whether or not you would be prepared to switch off your streetlights "to save the planet."

Paul

Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I've made my feelings known on that site. But looking at the majority of comments and it being 'The Daily Mail' I feel that it may be a worthless cause. Lets face it peeps, we're living in a country where the best selling 'newspaper' is The Sun. What does that say about the general population? :roll:
Hawk (yes, that's my real 1st name)
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Well I do my best to promote space there! :-(

Paul
"The Sun Spaceman"

RL Astro

Post by RL Astro »

I think posting is a lost cause on that site anyway. They read your posts over and say "we may edit your message before publishing it". They also say that not all messages will be displayed. My message at present still isn't up and I made it several hours ago. Others have gone up since.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were selecting which posts go up for their own statistics so they can then say "only 13% of these messages are for turning out the lights" :x

Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

I wrote a short letter to the DM above this on the following lines:
1) Switching off streetlights is not that radical and was done in up to the early 1960s, and great it was too.
2) Lets return the the natural light and dark, day and night.
3) If you are worried about not being able to see vandals........how on earth will they be able to see to vandalise.
MF
Last edited by Mike Feist on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RL Astro

Post by RL Astro »

The issue of crime seems to be being brought up quite a lot by peoples comments on there. May I refer everyone to this post from a while back: http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6173

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

There is more garbage in the Mail today on this lighting nonsense. As for the comments, it seems they have been very selective in excluding those from people with a contrary view to their own.

Paul

Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I agree with you Paul regarding the comments. My comment has been left out. Won't bother using that site again. :?
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x

jaycee

Post by jaycee »

The Daily Mail is a strong advocate of democracy....until you disagree with their views :?

BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Wish someone would turn the lights out at the DM.

BrianP

Colin Henshaw

Daily Mail

Post by Colin Henshaw »

What I've read here is very disturbing. I also attempted to post on this site (at least three times) to no avail. Meanwhile I publicised it round local astronomical societies, and it was mentioned on the CfDS forum as well. No-one in the CfDS or in the societies I contacted had their comments posted. It just demonstrates the level of journalism to which they have descended. The tone of the original article was also very disturbing, as was their statement about editing. Editing in their favour.

jonno

Post by jonno »

Could councils not just significantly dim lights after a certain time or only switch on alternate / every 3rd light of something of the ilk.

(I that the first thing I saw when I skimmed that article was Orion in the 2nd photo :))

Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Jonno said:
Could councils not just significantly dim lights after a certain time or only switch on alternate / every 3rd light of something of the ilk.
Don't be silly, that's just to easy and simple to do. It doesn't involve loads of red tape, there would have to be at least a dozen meetings and votes on doing such a thing, a quango would have to be created to find out the benefits of it. Also another body would have to be brought in to find out if the findings of the first council quango were correct and they would then have to have some more meetings to make sure evryone was in agreement and so on and so on it goes until the world goes bang and disappears in a cloud of galactic smoke. :lol:
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

In Epsom, there is a footpath that runs across the common beside the railway. It has streetlights with motion sensors that come on as people walk by and then switch off a set time later. I think every 3 light stays on constantly for safety. A genius idea and one that needs adopting elsewhere. Think of the reduction in the carbon footprint if nothing else!

The only bad point is that the sensors take time to reset. Sometimes, if someone has passed under the lights a few mins before you, they can switch off as you get to them!
Hugh

TAL 2M reflector, 150mm (6"), 1,200mm f/8; Soligor 152mm (6"), 750mm f/5; Bresser 10x50 and Opticron 8x42 bins (and desperate for clear skies!)

DRiley

Post by DRiley »

re-wiring streetlight circuits so that only one in 3 stays on after midnight may prove a problem though...
I ALWAYS GIVE 100% AT WORK:12% Monday, 23% Tuesday, 40% Wednesday, 20% Thursday & 5% Friday