Earth Hour 2008

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

david entwistle

Earth Hour 2008

Post by david entwistle »

Created to take a stand against the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, Earth Hour uses the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming.

This simple act has captured the hearts and minds of people all over the world. As a result, at 8pm March 29, 2008 millions of people in some of the world’s major capital cities, including Copenhagen, Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Brisbane and Tel Aviv will unite and switch off for Earth Hour.

http://www.earthhour.org/
David Entwistle

Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Sounds like a plan. Count me in :wink:
Hawk (yes, that's my real 1st name)
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

A bit late for many - that was 3 days ago.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter

stella

Post by stella »

If March 29 was three days ago, perhaps you would tell me what won the
William Hill Lincoln Handicap run at Doncaster last week, on March 22?

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Eclipse wrote:A bit late for many - that was 3 days ago.
stella wrote:If March 29 was three days ago …
There was something last month. The electricity generators were monitoring and analysing the drop in consumption, etc. Unfortunately it had virtually no impact. The lack of impact was put down to a load of quite fair reasons but generally it is thought the main reason was lack of publicity.
I think these things are a good idea. Trouble is that there are quite a few organisations organising such events. All very similar, all get a little publicity and all have little effect (probably because they get little publicity). If they keep happening, people will keep ignoring them and nothing will happen. I think the various organisations need to get together, get the publicity sorted, get some decent backing (e.g. supermarkets, etc – companies who love to give the (often false) impression that they are “greenâ€

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

LOL, sorry guys !!!!!!!

I wrote RTFQ on my students´ scripts many times !!!!

Looking forward to March 29, and back to Feb 29.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter

Colin Henshaw

Earth Hour

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Definitely a good idea to raise awareness of light pollution and energy wastage issues. However we must make sure that by switching lights off we don't resort to candles that would increase the carbon footprint despite the lights being turned off. Apparently, I'm told, the carbon dioxide released by a candle is greater than the carbon footprint of a light bulb. So using a candle is effectively an alternative to switching back on. And then there is the fire risk attendant with candle use.

So the switch-off in Earh Hour should mean exactly that. However, to have any impact it must be publicised more widely, and large numbers of people should participate, including local councils and businesses that are amongst the largest users of intense lighting.

Getting them on board will be difficult as they will cite the old sacred cows of safety and security.