Anglesey Dark Sky Zoning

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Would Dark Sky Zoning Prompt you to visit Anglesey more often for astronomy?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 am

Yes, zoning would make me visit slightly more often
20%
Yes, zoning would make me visit much more often
33%
No, zoning would not influence how often I visited
47%

Total votes: 15

Flying Astronomer

Anglesey Dark Sky Zoning

Post by Flying Astronomer »

I'm meeting Anglesey Council's Tourism department on 7 July, to discuss having a dark sky zone for Anglesey. The tourism industry is very important to the area, of course, and from what I hear, it's important to many amateur astronomers as an accessible escape from the worst LP of the north west.

Any views, letters of support are very welcome in the run-up to the meeting.

Please note: Anglesey very much does NOT have pristine skies; on a population basis, it probably suffers just as badly as anywhere else. But in total, yes, it is much better than most of the UK - but still deteriorating.

Thanks,
J.
P.S. there's a poll on the General Chat side, not very well designed I'm afraid, but at least it's showing a hefty proportion of all readers are interested in Anglesey.

T Russell

Post by T Russell »

How can I cast my vote on this poll (above) the one on general chat doesn't really apply, but if zoning makes me visit Anglesey even once thats much more often than before.

Tom

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

at least it's showing a hefty proportion of all readers are interested in Anglesey.
Please explain this comment. Only 14 people voted. 11 are not interested, 2 go there (I bet they live in North Wales etc), and 1 is thinking about it.

Living in Sussex I am never likely to venture to Anglesy for any purpose at all. I did however once go to Fishguard - Abergaun - in South Wales. The Pembrokeshire Coast was nice and it was the only time that I have ever seen a Dipper (Bird) NOT the Big Dipper (Constellation). maf

Flying Astronomer

Post by Flying Astronomer »

mike a feist wrote:
at least it's showing a hefty proportion of all readers are interested in Anglesey.
Please explain this comment. Only 14 people voted. 11 are not interested, 2 go there (I bet they live in North Wales etc), and 1 is thinking about it.
That was then! Never judge a poll until it's finished. This isn't a scientific poll, for which very many factors - and about 100x more people (based on current numbers of votes), would be needed to give a statistically-valid result. I can have a private PM discussion about this if you really want a proper explanation? I think everyone understands that polls like these are not meant to represent reality, even if they don't grasp the mathematics as to why. They just gives us a rough idea.

There is no query in the poll for the user's geographical base location. That is really beyond the scope of this simple poll system. As a result, one can reasonably assume - for a totally non-scientific poll - that it is taking the views of all users - regardless of where they come from. You seem to be asking: 'why bother with this poll when we live so far away we'd never go there anyway'. Yep, fine. Put your vote in, anyway - it gives us a very, very rough guess (no more) at what proportion of all SPA forum readers, regardless of location, visit (or not) Anglesey.

And, of course, there should be no assumption that 'just' because someone lives far away, that they won't actually visit somewhere far away. And 'far' means different things to different people under different circumstances.

As for your 'I bet they live in North Wales etc', that may be so. Or it may not. There's nothing to confirm such an assertion. In science, assertions mean nothing. They are for pub conversations to make people feel better, not to inform. A 'bet', as you put it, is by definition a guessing at an outcome. Betting also tends to go against the way you think things will go!

If many respondents are from north Wales, then I'm not sure why, as you seem to think, that would be in any way unimportant? The reason for polling is to see roughly what proportion of people do visit - it doesn't matter where they come from, so long as people within Anglesey don't vote, which you wouldn't expect anyway!

And 'hefty proportion'? Yes, I think that's valid in the general sense of how the term is used. If 20% of all people crossing the road were knocked down, you'd say that was a hefty proportion! About 20% of all forum users (presumably from all over the UK) showing a present or future visit to Anglesey is indeed a surprisingly large fraction. Again, without additional information, we can't tell if this represents the wider reality.

I trust that is a satisfactory explanation to the comment?

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I have never visited Anglesey and have no intention of doing so.
So had I responded to your poll my answer would have been the third option. So I did not respond, as I did not want to unnecessarily skew your result in what is probably the undesired direction.
Does not mean I am not interested, though, and I do hope you are successful in getting what you want.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Flyingastronomer
I have been to Anglesey a few times but many years back now.
I also have an astronomer friend who has visited Anglesey several times to get dark skies. I think his preferred area was in the south west corner of the island.
I am all for dark skies, but I must admit having some reservations about "enforcing" a dark sky zone on a place like Anglesey.
On the assumption on my part that Anglesey as a whole is fairly dark (although I appreciate the island is not pitch black, particularly perhaps Holyhead and some tourist places). However, I think I would prefer the island to be encouraged to keep as dark as practcable, perhaps leaning on the environmental problems caused by light pollution and energy saving. The idea of dark zones suggests to me the likelihood that adjacent zones can go berserk with lighting. with the best will in the world if a dark zone situated right next to a brilliantly lit zone, the dark zone may not be very dark.
Best of luck from Cliff

markt

Post by markt »

Cliff wrote:The idea of dark zones suggests to me the likelihood that adjacent zones can go berserk with lighting.
I'm a regular to Anglesey - 5 weeks and i'll be there again. If you find a suitable high spot with views along the North Wales coastline it's a disgusting sea of orange with light pollution. This is one particular part of the country that (to me) has got worse in recent years.

I do like Anglesey though and wish John every success with his campaign :)
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31