Lunar eclipse.

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Lunar eclipse.

Post by brian livesey »

The Moon will be eclipsed on Friday between 8:30 and 10:15 in the evening. It will be the longest lunar eclipse of this century.
Mars will also be close to the Moon and, because of its brilliance, the red planet will not be washed out by the Moon.
brian
David Frydman

Re: Lunar eclipse.

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Brian,
With a reversed binocular one can make a magnitude estimate of the eclipsed moon.
Mars about magnitude minus 2.7?
They may be pretty similar if the moon is sufficiently small.

On the other hand the fake news says it will be the end of the world.
Time will tell.
I didn't realise it but apocalypse stories are there to generate income from scare stories. The purveyors don't believe what they are saying.
A strange world.

Regards,
David
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

brian livesey wrote:The Moon will be eclipsed on Friday between 8:30 and 10:15 in the evening. It will be the longest lunar eclipse of this century.
Mars will also be close to the Moon and, because of its brilliance, the red planet will not be washed out by the Moon.

So that is 20:30 and 22:15 ;)
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I am looking forward to seeing both.

But. The weather at the moment looks decidedly grotty during the eclipse period.

Fingers crossed we get a reprieve.
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

I know the weather is usually uncooperative with astronomical events, but here in the UK, the first chance at rain in WEEKS is really taking the ****!

Will keep an eye out, but it's cloudy. Moon peeked out thru clouds last night at 1am, so you never know!
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Lunar Eclipse Report.
27/7/18. 2100-2300 BST. After two months without rain and night after night of clear skies, we had here on the south coast, some short showers during the late afternoon and the sky clouded over. However the clouds broke just before sunset and a considerable number of Foredown Tower Astronomers, camera obscura volunteers and friends plus members of the public gathered on the Foredown Ridge with hopes of seeing something of this event. Large gaps appeared in the clouds but throughout the two hours none were in the right place to reveal either the setting Sun or the eclipsed Moon, although Jupiter could be seen plus lightning which was far away beyond Brighton. People finally slowly gave up and headed for their homes. The last two, including me, left just before 2300 BST, and on the way home I noticed a bright patch in the cloud behind which the Moon was still hidden. This was my seventh lunar eclipse that has been lost to cloud. Regards maf
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

I remember these a while ago
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

If I am not mistaken, these photographs were taken on the 28/9/2015. That was a lovely lunar eclipse which I was able to follow from start to finish, from 0213-0530 BST. I too have a series of similar photographs plus a series of 18 little drawings. The conditions were for that eclipse were perfect!
The recent lunar eclipse was a sooooo frustrating, it would have been better had the sky been solidly cloudy throughout, rather than those tantalising gaps in the cloud! Regards maf.
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

Typically, even though it was raining yesterday evening, got a great view of the just past Full Moon rising over the houses to the South East after midnight! :roll:

Congratulations to folks if you saw the eclipse. :D 8)
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

mike a feist wrote:If I am not mistaken, these photographs were taken on the 28/9/2015. That was a lovely lunar eclipse which I was able to follow from start to finish, from 0213-0530 BST. I too have a series of similar photographs plus a series of 18 little drawings. The conditions were for that eclipse were perfect!
The recent lunar eclipse was a sooooo frustrating, it would have been better had the sky been solidly cloudy throughout, rather than those tantalising gaps in the cloud! Regards maf.

Think it was a long time before that but can't remember exactly, I have seen it when living in Scotland and Cornwall, this was from Cornwall

mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Sorry that my suggested date of the eclipse photographs posted is possibly in error.
An astronomical + photographic colleague always moans that I spoil all my photographs when printing them out in the chemist with the date on them. Just proves my point that the added date is so I importent! Similarly how more interesting and historically informative would all those thousands upon thousands of old Victorian postcards now be if they were printed at the time with the dates thereon! Regards maf.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

No lunar eclipse here and no donner und blitz either :( :D .
brian
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

mike a feist wrote:Sorry that my suggested date of the eclipse photographs posted is possibly in error.
An astronomical + photographic colleague always moans that I spoil all my photographs when printing them out in the chemist with the date on them. Just proves my point that the added date is so I importent! Similarly how more interesting and historically informative would all those thousands upon thousands of old Victorian postcards now be if they were printed at the time with the dates thereon! Regards maf.

No need to be sorry ??? :) :) Even I can't remember when I took them ;) ;) ;)

Brian

Post by Brian »

With impeccable timing the clouds rallied and everything was blotted out. Even at midnight it was impossible to see any hint of the Full Moon behind the clouds, not even a glimmer :(
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

And as if the Weather Gods like to mock.
Saturday where I live. The skies were clear :evil: :evil:

We all have to have a thick skin in this land of ours, to be an amateur astronomer :)
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/