Deflecting asteroids

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Deflecting asteroids

Post by brian livesey »

China is planning to send 23 Long March 5 rockets into space to practise deflecting a sizeable asteroid. The results could mean that asteroids on collision course with Earth could be effectively dealt with.
By early 2022, The US will send a robotic spacecraft to intercept two asteroids that are relatively close to Earth.
brian
Kay Burton

Re: Deflecting asteroids

Post by Kay Burton »

Cool. But what if an asteroid like the one that was in "Armageddon" appears in the field of view? What will then do?
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I think the Chinese would send these rockets to an asteroid that actually was just about to miss the Earth, and divert it just enough to wipe out all life on Earth.

Regards,
David
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I recall reading something about deflection lava flows from Mount Etna, I think. Building barriers to deflect the lava from destroying one village, simply deflecting it to destroy a second village. The first would be considered 'an act of god' but if it destroyed the second would be "an act of mankind".
Recently bought Cunningham's book 'Asteroids' which nicely covered, historically, the discoveries if asteroids, without to much technicality. In that he mentions the following when discussing looking at asteroids: "in comparison, 20190EA2 is twice the size of the asteroid that exploded as a bolide meteor over Russia in 2013, but about the same size as an asteroid that hit the Moon during a total lunar eclipse on 20 January 2019."
This was the event that appeared on a number of photographs, including one of mine. Was there any follow up on this, any confirmation that an object did hit the Moon?
Regards maf.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

michael feist wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 am ...Recently bought Cunningham's book 'Asteroids' which nicely covered, historically, the discoveries if asteroids, without to much technicality...
I read this too, Mike. I found it really fascinating and very well written.
michael feist wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 am ...This was the event that appeared on a number of photographs, including one of mine. Was there any follow up on this, any confirmation that an object did hit the Moon?
I can't seem to find much of a follow up on this, other than an article in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, by José M Madiedo, José L Ortiz, Nicolás Morales, and Pablo Santos-Sanz.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Thank you Jeff for the information concerning the event during that eclipse. The book by Cunningham is a good one, covering much in general language. Some of the books, for example the "... and How To Observe..." Often get so involved with the technicalities of mathematics and of imaging techniques, that they are beyond me. They have their place (and rightly so) but not on my bookshelf. Straight description, especially from a historical viewpoint, suit me better, simple soul that I am.
Cunningham also mentions using smaller telescopes to view asteroid conjunctions, and gives as an example, " on 5th July 2014 Ceres and Vesta came within 10 arc minutes of one a other..." Checking my diaries for that year and their it was! I observed this event using a MAK 70 and Minox 62 spotter, on the 5th and then the 6th, with these two being very close together.
Regards maf.
Brian

Post by Brian »

brian livesey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm China is planning to send 23 Long March 5 rockets into space to practise deflecting a sizeable asteroid.
Don't you think that is just an excuse for militarising space? 23 missiles pointing back at us rather than outwards...... SkyNet here we come
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed