Monopod for binoculars

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

SkyBrowser

Monopod for binoculars

Post by SkyBrowser »

Can anybody recommend a good monopod for a (heavyish) pair of 8x50 binoculars. I'd like to get into variable star work and a shaky field of view is not ideal for this!
brian livesey

Re: Monopod for binoculars

Post by brian livesey »

I made a triangular frame from someone's redundant Zimmer frame, and put bicycle handlebar grips on the bottom. It works like a charm for keeping bins steady.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

If you are feeling the need to spend some money :D then Telescopehouse has a new monopod that might be worth considering:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/Other-Pr ... -Base.html

regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Brian wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:24 pm If you are feeling the need to spend some money :D then Telescopehouse has a new monopod that might be worth considering:
It's a possible, though at the moment I'm agonising over what height I need. I've ordered a pistol grip type head, and when that arrives I'll put my bins on top and then try and work out what height monopod I'll need to be able to work near the zenith. I'm 6' 1". I also want to be able to use it from a deckchair, either (carefully) placed between my legs, or off to one side.

The option, a la other Brian!, is to go homebrew. I have pondered something to fix to the arms of a deckchair, and then a revolving base for the deckchair to sit on so I can spin myself around.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I eventually bought a Manfrotto video monopod with a "fluid base" (a small three legged tripod that attaches to the base of the monopod).

Experiments in daylight suggest it will all work with my bins, so all I need now is a bit of clear sky and the Sagittarius star clouds are mine!

I'm also pondering making a revolving base to sit a deckchair on so I can scoot around in circles with my feet without having to keep shfting the deckchair about.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The options I've seen for mounting binoculars invite a stiff neck at higher elevations. One way to avoid this is to use a binocular mirror mount, bought or made on the kitchen table. I chose the latter option and made up three of them.
Inexpensive first-surface mirrors can be acquired from www.scientificmirrors.co.uk .
brian
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I've tried mirror mounts in the past, but couldn't get on with them.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

It would be interesting to know what issues you have with mirror-mounts. Fogging can become a problem, although a heating mat under the mirror can remove that problem. A 12v windscreen demister is effective too. It only needs a slight amount of heat to clear/avoid misting up.
brian
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I can't really remember what the issues were - it was a good few years ago now. A friend lent me his for a couple of weeks when he went on holiday. I tried it a few times, but it just didn't click. I think I had difficulty finding things, and I probably didn't like the reversed view. He however swore by it, so horses for courses!
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I solved the problem of homing in on objects by using a laser torch pointing down at the mirror. Various binoculars are used, ranging from 8X40 to 25X70.
The reversed image is something that can be tolerated, especially with regard to point sources i.e. stars. Newtonian users have to put up with an inverted image. :roll:
brian
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I finally got a chance to use my monopod and 8x50s on the night sky on Tuesday evening. It worked very well, I was very pleased with how steady I could hold the bins using it and I'm sure this must let me see fainter objects. I was surfing around Sagittarius until cloud stopped play at around 0100BST.

Last night (14th) I used it to observe Venus/Mars and also the crescent Moon. It was so much easier to see craters on the Moon compared to hand-held, so, if I can identify what I saw(!), I may be able to add to my "Opera Glasses" observed list :)