A disaster waiting to happen?

A place to post details relating to artificial satellite observations

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

A disaster waiting to happen?

Post by brian livesey »

The littering of near-Earth space with satellites and discarded rocket parts shows no sign of abating. NASA tracks some 28,000 objects bigger than 10cm that orbit the Earth, There are numerous smaller items, down to astronauts frozen urine ( from before the time it was recycled for water ) and flecks of paint. All travelling at very high velocity.
Experts are increasingly concerned that the accumulation of orbital space debris could make space inaccessible to us. “I don’t think people are going to take it as seriously as they should until a human gets hurt,” said John Crassidis, a professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering at the Buffalo University in New York.
Carolin Frueh, an associate professor at the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Purdue University in Indiana, compared the problem to ocean pollution where debris “is just floating around”. She added, “ I think it is becoming one of the biggest pollution disasters”.
brian
jeff.stevens

Re: A disaster waiting to happen?

Post by jeff.stevens »

I've been trying to avoid following this in the astronomical news, as I find it slightly depressing, for a number of reasons. It seems the one thing that we learn from history is that we never learn from history. I think, as your post suggest, it is only a matter of time before a disaster happens.

Best wishes, Jeff.
brian livesey

Re: A disaster waiting to happen?

Post by brian livesey »

It’s a classic example Jeff of the self-fulfilling prophesy, i.e. too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing.
brian