Venus in daylight

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Venus in daylight

Post by michael feist »

20/6/22: 0855-0910 BST. Used the MAK 80 (x32), this time tried the yellow filter rather than the orange one. The yellow one seems to make the sky almost green!? Bur not as dark as the orange filter. Tried photographing at the eyepiece with Canon SX170 IS. Then printed out in the shop and again photographed this using this tablet. See result here. (NB. Photographing just using this tablet at the eyepiece us extremely awkward. Transferring the image from the camera to the tablet is problematic as tablet does not have the plug in facility to do it electronical, hence this rigmarole.)
WIN_20220620_12_28_18_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20220620_12_28_18_Pro (2).jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 96 times
[attachment=0]. It will not win any photo. prizes...but pleased with it! Am surprised quite how green the final resulting sky was.
Regards mike f.
David Frydman

Re: Venus in daylight

Post by David Frydman »

Good photo Mike despite green hue.

I have many photos but don't know how to post, and I am not going to learn either.

Regards,
David
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The image Mike looks out of focus. Was there some thin cloud?
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I do not think it is so much out-of-focus (although perhaps it is), as over- enlarged, and it certainly does not really show the phase clearly even in the scope alone at x32 now it is smaller. And was no doubt also affected by daylight 'bubbling' on a hot summers day and the Camera was just handheld at the eyepiece: A real bodge-up, I guess, and I was please just to record it at all. The real question is why the green sky? The filter is from a cheap set and these are just marked as the name of the colour rather than the number #. I imagine that it is probably more 'green-yellow' than just 'yellow'. Thank you, Brian, for your interest. Regards mike f.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Mike
The colour(s) of your Venus photo does not bother me personally.
But if you really do want to change the colours I think it might be fairly easy. You could change the backgroound sky colour to what you yourself recall the colour to be OR go for a Buz & Wuz shot some sort of shades grey.
Best of luck from Cliff
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Since I acquired a standard Plossl eyepiece for the MAK80 to which I could attach filters ( the ones that came with it did not have that facility), I have been experimenting with filters. I find the 'green' sky weird to say the least. The 'Orange' view seems helpful for the Moon and 'Venus in Daylight once one gets used to the background colour. The ' Moon & Skyglow ' filter perhaps helps somewhat without distorting the basic, real colour. As for astro-photographs, mine are just really 'astro-snaps' , of equipment, some Moon shots and nothing too complicated. Straight forward 'snaps' of rainbows, haloes and sundogs are easy with my tablet, direct and straight forward. Most astro-magazines seem mainly filled with 'imaging' and 'space research',
neither of which fit with my simple approach to observing the sky. The cost of many telescopes and eyepieces etc are 'eyewatering' in the extreme. Still 'each to his own', 'chacon à son goût' - at last I managed to find out how to type French letters with accents!
Best wishes Cliff, from mike f. Still watching the sky!

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

It’s been my experience that one of the best, if not the best, of planetary filters is thin cloud.
brian