Paul Sutherland

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Paul Sutherland

Post by jeff.stevens »

We are very sorry to have to announce that Paul Sutherland, who has been an integral part of the society for over 50 years, died from cancer on 20 June 2022. He only became unwell during April, and it turned out that the cancer in his oesophagus had spread to his liver. Paul wanted no fuss, and continued to post his Wordle solutions on Facebook until a few days ago.

Paul became a section director in the society in 1971 at the age of 19, and subsequently was editor of the magazine for nearly ten years. He has been on the society Council since then and has been a friend and cheerful correspondent to many budding astronomers and writers. A full obituary is in preparation.

Paul, who was 69, leaves four brothers -- Martin, Andrew, Simon and his identical twin Nigel.
brian livesey

Re: Paul Sutherland

Post by brian livesey »

It’s sad to hear about Paul’s passing. I,too, had cancer of the oesophagus over twenty-years ago.I can appreciate the anxieties Paul must have experienced during his illness. We win some; we lose some.
brian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Oh my God. I had no idea. This is so sad. He was a lovely bloke.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

It is incredibly sad news. Whilst I only met in person with Paul a handful of times, we conversed via email on many occasions, and I followed his posts on Facebook. He was so kind, intelligent and supportive. When he wrote or spoke it was always a positive contribution to life. I shall miss him.

Best wishes, Jeff.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Very sorry to hear about Paul Sutherland. I think I corresponded with Paul a number of times but we only met in the flesh twice many years ago. The news about Paul was a quite big shock.
from Cliff
Brian

Post by Brian »

Desperately sad news. Paul was a pillar of the SPA and will be greatly missed.
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50, Practika 8x21
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D, Lumix TZ18
Ro-Ro roof shed
raybill

Post by raybill »

Really sad news. He gave knowledge to the world.