Prism replacement

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Prism replacement

Post by brian livesey »

Did anyone else watch the Repair Shop programme this evening on BBC 1? As usual, several items were renovated, including a tiny prismatic binocular with two chipped prisms. The binocular was cleaned and the two prisms replaced.
The renovator looked through the binocular and was pleased with the result. What wasn’t mentioned was whether or not he had to recollimate the binocular. If he didn’t he was lucky. When prisms are moved or replaced, it’s almost always the case that recollimation is necessary.
brian
David Frydman

Re: Prism replacement

Post by David Frydman »

Richard Biggs of Action Optics is mainly retired now.

He is the optics repairer in the BBC show.

He had a long history at T.O.E.

These micro binoculars are very sensitive to collimation problems.

I have several that are either out of collimation or have only been badly conditionally aligned.

My one and only binocular was a 1960s Nipole 7x23 micro binocular or reverse Poorprism binocular bought new from Arthur Frank, head of Charles Frank, Glasgow.

I used this for many years, and it went everywhere by car or plane.
I saw the Green Flash at sunset from Hartland Point with this binocular.

The binocular is now rusted and out of collimation.

Arthur Frank's telescope maker in a separate building in Saltmarket, I think, made the first of his 8.5inch Newtonians for me that cost £180 in 1967, I think, reduced from £220 as he only made the 6 inch version before and I asked for something larger.
However, it gave double images. I thought that the secondary was to blame, but I took it to Dudley Fuller, the jazz pianist, who bought Broadhurst Clarkson.
Dudley gave me a first class primary completely free of charge.
I suppose he delighted in sending the rubbish mirror back to Arthur Frank.

Arthur Frank also sold me a Ross 10x70 monocular from his collection, which was Britain's best collection of optics sold at Sothebys.

He retired to Jersey.

Richard showed his travelling collimator when repairing a Zeiss 7x50 WW2 binocular on the T.V. show.

Regards,
David
David Frydman

Re: Prism replacement

Post by David Frydman »

The website, something like www,miniaturebinoculars has an enormous amount of similar binoculars listed.

It also has lists of brochures etc. and is a treasure trove of historical information.

The Nikon micron is well known, but the first one might be Czech?

I call these small binoculars micro binoculars, but I recently saw skeleton binoculars used as a class name.

Regards,
David