The SUN - 9th November

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

The SUN - 9th November

Post by Cliff »

The weather today seemed a little better than I expected, but cool & breezy with plenty of drifting cloud, When I got round to imaging the Sun in White Light through our W facing back bedroom window I had a frustrating time getting my equipment organised then waiting for a decent gap in the clouds to get a couple of short video clips of the Sun suitable for processing with Registax Version 5 & Coral Paint Shop.
Best wishes from Cliff
Attachments
SUN20221109_1540UTmered_08Rx.jpg
SUN20221109_1540UTmered_08Rx.jpg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 111 times
PaulB

Re: The SUN - 9th November

Post by PaulB »

Excellent work Cliff,
Paul Anthony Brierley
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Nice view of sunspots, Cliff. Must get my projector onto them once the Sun rises! Regards mikef.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Paul & Mike
Thanks for your comments.
I think the Sun is behaving a bit peculiarly lately (although I am having a few frustrating equipment problems which are not helping).
Whatever, The Sun seems to show several fairly spectacular Sunspots & some quite tiny ones but not much between. But that might be just me being fussy ? Perhaps IU should just be pleased there's something to see !
Best of luck from Cliff
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Used the set up made to view the eclipse, and view from the bedroom window, projecting the image onto paper. Lots of cloud etc but did manage the see the main two spots and glimpsed the smaller one. The projected Solar image was only about 3 cm across. So not detailed and a rather poor sketch but at least it records them. The orientation is obviously different to your method. About 9am on the 10/11/22. Regards mike f.
WIN_20221110_09_10_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221110_09_10_44_Pro.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 98 times
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

It's a very clear and detailed image, Cliff. Those sunspots look very impressive. It also proves that imaging and observing through a window can produce excellent results.

Mike, I've never had much success with the projection method, and I like your drawing - it's interesting to compare it with Cliff's image.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

The projection method of viewing the Sun, although safe, does have its drawbacks and although just the thing for observing the occasional Solar Eclipse, that ½binocular concoction is certainly not that good for sunspots on a regular basis (but I will keep it for the next eclipse!) but it failed to produce a large + detailed enough image to show more than just a hint of those otherwise large sunspots.
In the past I have used the method to the detriment of the field-stop of various eyepieces, reducing them to slots.
Back in the 1960s, I stopped-down the mirror of the 8" Newtonian to perhaps 50mm maybe, by a hole in a bit a hardboard down just in from of the main mirror. The mirror overheated and the silvering bubbled up. Oh dear! However, the positive side to this was that I took the mirror to George Hole's workshop one Saturday morning and showed me how he removed the old silvering and then re-silvered it while I watched.
regards mike f.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Jeff
Thanks for your kind comments. I must admit sometimes I wish I had a better understanding of real Sun science but I just like what I see or image anyway. best wishes from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Mike
I enjoyed seeing your Sun sketch.
I think that you are a true sky watcher & there is a lot to watch out there. In my case circumstances are ny skywatching is a bit limited. I rarely look at the Sky at Night at all these days. The Sun is the only astronomical object I feel " reasonably " happy about (I say reasonably with a degree of caution).
These days I only have very limited interest in proper science (of the astronomical or any other sort). I'm inclined to think our World alone has got far too complicated. Us humans do not even understand ourselves properly so I doubt if anybody really knows where we are going.
Best wishes from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Looking up at the sky Cliff can have a calming effect for some people. It puts the troublesome aspects of our society into perspective. Jeff has often expressed the sense of tranquillity he gets from sky-watching.
The medieval mind was parochial and Earth-centric, but the progress made since then in astrophysics and space exploration has widened many people’s horizons and fostered a sense of the oneness of humanity. There’s still some way to go. :D
brian