Fabulous Saturn & Jupiter

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

nigeljoslin

Fabulous Saturn & Jupiter

Post by nigeljoslin »

Had a really good session early yesterday evening from 17:40 to 18:45 GMT. First I enjoyed some deep sky, and then it was on to planets.

Wow! Saturn was superb, despite its low alititude. The best I have seen it this season, absolutely etched onto the sky, looking unreal, sharp enough to be made of steel. A cluster of moons in surrounding gatherment.

I settled on 400x, which gave a mesmerising view. The Cassini Division was positively wide and the Crepe Ring was sublimely soft but very obvious. Banding was visible on the planet, with one particularly dark band near the equator. The colour turned progressively grey as it neared the north pole - superb!

And then it was Jupiter. The first thing I noticed was that the GRS was brighter than usual with the white surrounding area and its bordering brown loop showing up very clearly indeed. Adding the blue 80A Wratten filter, the white regions in the belts showed up very nicely indeed. As was the case with Saturn, I studied the planet for quite some time.

How good it is when conditions are at their very best!
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
RMSteele

Re: Fabulous Saturn & Jupiter

Post by RMSteele »

Brilliant, thanks for the description Nigel, Regards Bob
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

nigeljoslin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:22 amWow! Saturn was superb, despite its low alititude. The best I have seen it this season, absolutely etched onto the sky, looking unreal, sharp enough to be made of steel. A cluster of moons in surrounding…
Super description. I can envisage how stunning it must have appeared. It reminds me of a view of Saturn one New Year’s Eve, with a thick layer of snow on the ground. I’d never seen such a crystal clear stable view.

Best wishes, Jeff.
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Cheers, Bob.

I can just imagine that, Jeff. It amazes me how after fifteen years of astronomy the sight of Saturn still blows my socks off!
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars