How to align the finder scope and the main telescope

Astro software and whatever hardware

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, gbp

AdrianDaniel

How to align the finder scope and the main telescope

Post by AdrianDaniel »

I have just bought a Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian telescope and I am eager to use it for stargazing. However, I am not sure how to align the finder scope and the main telescope, and how to use the red dot finder to locate objects in the sky. Do I need to do this every time I use the telescope or only once?
jeff.stevens

Re: How to align the finder scope and the main telescope

Post by jeff.stevens »

Welcome to the SPA Forums.

There's a brief explanation in this article from our own SPA website, which gives some advice on how to align a finder, as well as other useful tips:

https://www.popastro.com/main_spa1/star ... telescope/.

I use red dot finders, and I think they are excellent, but I always have to realign mine quite frequently. I do this by picking a relatively bright object, e.g., Jupiter, Venus, the Moon, or a bright star, and get it in the centre of the eyepiece and then fine-tune the red dot finder. It goes out of alignment slightly each time I move the 'scope in and out of the house. It's difficult not to knock it slightly.

The other pain I have noticed with cheap red dot finders is that the battery connections can be really poor, and I often need to gently "knock" or open the battery case to get a better connection.

Do let us know how you get on. Your telescope will show you some wonderful views.

Best wishes, Jeff.