Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 25 March 2024 at 04h51m UT

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 25 March 2024 at 04h51m UT

Post by jeff.stevens »

Seeing the Moon rising close to full earlier this evening reminded me that we have a penumbral lunar eclipse in the early hours of Monday morning. I understand it starts at 04h51m UT, but the moon will be quite low at this stage, and will have set before maximum eclipse. Full details are in the SPA's Sky Diary.

It was an impressive sight this evening, as I walked around our village photographing it from various view points. Here it is rising above the gravestones of our local church.

Best wishes, Jeff.
Attachments
20240324_234552.jpg
20240324_234552.jpg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 69 times
RMSteele

Re: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 25 March 2024 at 04h51m UT

Post by RMSteele »

Hello Jeff, this is an evocative portrait The colours and tones have a comforting warmth and they contrast with the dark, authoritarian church tower. It looks like a star above and left of the Moon? I think very few souls will have got up to see the wishy washy partial eclipse. I looked out at about half past midnight to see if there was any sign of an aurora, but nothing. Best wishes, Bob
jeff.stevens

Re: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 25 March 2024 at 04h51m UT

Post by jeff.stevens »

RMSteele wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:44 amIt looks like a star above and left of the Moon?
It does look like the image has picked up Denebola and Delta Leonis, in the rump of Leo. I hadn't spotted that.

I was too tired to get up and look for the eclipse, and it seemed as though the weather was due to turn here. When I looked out at 7:30am it was totally cloudy.

As an aside, I get to go into that tower to wind the clock each week, and quite often, if it's after dark, it can be very atmospheric, especially if there is a mist rolling over the graves. If it's a clear sky, then I often take the time to stand and observe the night sky in the company of the silent inhabitants.

Best wishes, Jeff.