'Security lights'

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

David Frydman

'Security lights'

Post by David Frydman »

Without consulting me or others about two weeks ago an electrician who had come on Tuesday to festoon the side and front of the building with lights returned on Thursday.

I looked out and was confronted with 4 lights.

The first on the left magnitude minus 15 or about 20 to 40 average UK full Moons.
The next the original one full Moon light.
The third magnitude minus 16 or 60 to 100 average UK full Moons.
The fourth the original one full Moon light.

Recent research has found that only an exact full Moon at the zenith at nearest moon is magnitude minus 12.5

In my fifties I first experienced migraine with auras.

The last time was perhaps six months before this lighting.

On waking after 4 1/2 hours I had the aura and immediately took a Migraleve pink which worked in ten to fifteen minutes.

I almost certainly got this because I looked at the magnitude minus 16 light not only with unaided eyes but in a 10x25 binocular.

The glare is the worst I have ever seen from a light.

I had the option of taking legal action as this is Nuisance in English law regarding light intrusion into residential windows or contacting the local council who are obliged to take action.

I chose the next morning to go down and rotate the lamp fitting, which is poorly designed and far too shallow a mirror bowl.
The result is a two average UK full Moon light.

I could not rotate the first lamp as it was too stiff and a bit too high for me.
I can tolerate this as it is not directly in my line of sight, although it is 20 to 40 average UK full Moons in brightness.

With the lights as presented to me it was impossible to see any criminal behaviour because the glare was so intense one could not see such behaviour.

And you wonder why this planet is going down the toilet.

Regards,
David
Brian

Re: 'Security lights'

Post by Brian »

David, you have my sympathy and I totally agree with your last line. I do wonder what we would do with limitless fusion energy - power limitless (in)security lights I suspect!

regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50, Practika 8x21
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D, Lumix TZ18
Ro-Ro roof shed
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Thanks Brian,

Bob Mizon came with another CfDS member and presented me with an award for my decades of work on their behalf.

Unfortunately Bob passed away a while ago. He had been unwell.

They saw my situation regarding lights. It was awful.

But this latest onslaught is beyond all reason.

I didn't have the strength to confront the situation head on, so I took the easiest option and angled the minus 16 magnitude fitting right down.
It is now magnitude minus 12.
The other fitting is still magnitude minus 15 but angled away to my left and not in my line of sight.

What was surprising is that I could see four Jupiter moons in the 18x50 binocular even with the full onslaught of lights.
This binocular has superb glare control.

But this cheap nasty lamp has an almost completely exposed central intense LED square array, which spills light at very large angles.
It is far too shallow and the light is uncontrolled.

The effect is even worse than driving into a low Sun in a very clear sky where one just has to stop driving.

Electricians have little or no training in fitting lights or they just don't care.

I more or less have given up any serious observing, but still look out most nights.
I missed the recent aurora,

Regards,
David
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

David. What a sorry state of affairs! The simple pleasures of life are being eroded away before our eyes. Regards mike f
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

We live in a peculiar society these days. Excessive lighting is everywhere, along with excessive noise. My generation has seen the best of it.
It was in the mid-seventies that things began to worsen. The Milky Way was getting fainter and once prominent constellations were getting more difficult to identify.
Nowadays, children in towns don’t see a starry sky. Instead, they get it secondhand on the Internet.
Many things are/have deteriorated these days, including people.. I went in a public library today and was dismayed to see a senior librarian with a big ring through his nose.
This is truly an age of decadence and we can only wonder where it will end.
brian
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Brian,
The age of decadence will end in decay.

Michael,
You won't believe this, or you might.

This evening around 4pm I look out and there are now seven 'security' lights instead of 4, with an extra one just out of view to the left making at least eight in a row, each 8ft apart.

The new ones are about magnitude minus 15 each.

Now, I can either get worked up and tense, or just cool it.

When able, I will try to rotate the two directed at me to magnitude minus 12.

For some reason the front has not yet got a security light.
Whether it will or not, I don't know.

It could be the original two to the SE got married and had 6 offspring.
One cannot call them he or she.

In a row.
Si Signor, Der dego fortez lorez inaro demaint lorez demis trucs fulov ens angees anducs.

Yours, in tears? anger? or quiet acceptance of a world gone mad.

At least I made it into old age when several good friends have recently passed away.

Maybe I'll make it to heaven when the time comes where it isn't as bright as another place.

Regards,
David
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

You’ve been faithful to the Muse of Astronomy for many years David, and she’s rewarded you with a long life. I’m 81. Unfortunately, I’ve outlived the friends and many relatives I had. That’s one of the downsides of longevity.
brian
Sane4ka

Post by Sane4ka »

It's clear your dedication to astronomy has been a big part of your life journey, David. It's amazing how our passions can shape us over the years. And while longevity brings its own set of challenges, it's also a testament to the richness of your experiences.

<Edited by Mod Team to remove non-astro link>
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

In the end I decided to put in writing that shining lights into residential windows is illegal in English law.

I detailed the brightness of the lights in terms of average U.K. full moons.
Some up to 60 to 100 full moons.

In addition, I noted the electrician's responsibilities and those of the local council.

The electrician fully rotated six lamps downwards, and this drastically reduced the glare, so now it is possible to look out of the window.

But I am so disgusted at seeing seven or eight lamps at 8 foot intervals that I just don't bother to look out of this window anymore.

Fear and ignorance allowed this madness to happen.

I actually am sorry that I had to put this in writing as it distressed the people who decided to install them.
I don't like hurting people who are trying their best.

I did not mention that 19 lights on all night costs money and reduces insects, which reduces birds.

The foxes seem happy, they have been screaming every night for about a month.

Unfortunately, this lighting increase is and will be never ending, at least in peace time.

I got a BAA award for my long term support, but realise that despite some success, it is mostly failure.

Regards,
David
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Alas David it can only get worse. The people in charge are determined to turn night into day.
We’ve seen the best of it. Everything now seems to be in excess.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

Recently I've noticed that the streetlamps I can see from my front bedroom window are mere candles compared to the searchlights they were just a few months ago. Looking online I found that the Council has been dimming streetlights to save money since last October. Apparently these lights can be dimmed remotely via the phone network.

Of course there are complaints about this. The dimmer lighting has been rated "pathetic" by some and certainly in our road any cars parking under the lights at night are not immediately obvious. In fact I sometimes find it necessary to have my car lights on full beam when negotiating local streets at night. (Not complaining - just an observation :wink: )
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50, Practika 8x21
Ro-Ro roof shed
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Let’s bear in mind that the lights are dimmed to reduce cost, not to reduce light pollution.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

Absolutely, :roll:
regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed